E-mail: karolien.verheyen76 (at) gmail.com
College of Sint. Lukas Brussel Masters in Visual Arts Option
Photography (1995 – 1999)
Thesis around the book ‘Invitation to a Beheading’ by
College of Sint. Lukas Brussel Aggregate Teaching Diploma
(1996 – 2000)
UCC, Ireland Diploma in Youth and Community Work
(2003 – 2005)
FASA, Northern Ireland Certificate in Drug Awareness (2005)
O’Connell Centre, Cahirciveen European Computer Driver’s Licence certificate. (2004)
Secondary School of Sint. Lukas Brussel Graphic Arts: mathematics, science, languages etc.plus
practical studies; painting, etching, screen printing,
photography, drawing, sculpting…(1991-1995)
Lyceum Mechelen, Belgium Latin language, science (1987 – 1990)
Conservatorium Mechelen Higher Level Certificates in percussion, music history,
guitar, ensemble and music theory. (1986 – 1999)
Music Network, Dublin Certificate in Community Music (2007/2008)
The Open University Bachelor in Science (Honours) Open (2016)
Self funded projects
– postcards of black & white photographs with as theme ‘Irish traditional music’. For sale in South West Kerry. (2007)
– Project on a trip to the Midwest of the USA. Black and white 6×6 and 35 mm images of people, scenery and street photography. (1998)
– Project on a trip to Ireland. Black & white and colour images of people, landscapes, street photography. (1999)
– Project on a trip to Syria. Black & white and colour images depicting the life in this Middle Eastern country. (2000)
– Project on the Convent of Cahirciveen, a derelict building with lots of history. During two and a half years paintings, drawings, photographs, recording of stories, filming and poems were made, trying to tell the story of this building. (2002 – 2005)
– Project on a trip to Cuba in April 2007. Digital and film images of musicians and their music. Live recordings and filming of dance and performances. This resulted in an exhibition ‘In search of music…Cuba’ in Tralee in July 2007 of 50 photographs, a film/slideshow with music, postcards and music recordings. This exhibition was opened by Noel Carrillo, Cuban Ambassador to Ireland.
– Facilitator of workshops at:
– Ballybunnion World Fleadh, 2006
– Samhlaoicht Gallery, Tralee, 2006
– With South Kerry Women’s Association in 2005 – resulted in an exhibition of the students work in Portmagee.
– KDYS Waterville, 2002
– Teaching of photography Level II in Tech Amergin, Waterville (2002 – 2004)
– Teaching in Adult Education Centre, Kenmare in 2003
– Assisting several photographers in both Belgium and Ireland: Pol de Prins, Barry Moore, Carl de Keyzer, Les Hanlon.
– Photographer of weddings in both Belgium and Ireland
– Assignments for Kerry County Council, The O’Connell Centre, Cahirciveen and local businesses.
– Freelance photographer for ‘Kerry’s Eye’ (2002 – 2004)
Music/ Visual Arts
– teaching of percussion and drum kit, both privately and to groups
– Workshops and teaching with/at:
– Colaiste na Sceilge, Cahirciveen (secondary school)
– Asana Language School, Cahirciveen.
– KDYS, Killarney. (young people)
– Kerry School of Music, Killarney.
– Samhlaoicht, Tralee.
– Cahirciveen Celtic Music Festival
– Kerry Parents and Friends, Valentia Island. (adults with Down Syndrome)
– Fertha View Day Centre, Cahirciveen. (adults with mental health problems)
– St. Anne’s Hospital, Cahirciveen. (elderly)
– Ashborough Lodge, Milltown. (elderly)
– Castleisland N.S.
– Coars N.S.
– Filemore N.S.
– Ballybunnion World Fleadh
– CYMS Killorglin (group of young people with Down Syndrome)
– Worked in Dublin music rehearsal studio (2002)
– Attended seminar and wrote a report on ‘Changing Tunes – Music Leadership for the 21ste century’ in Birmingham, UK, July 2006. Sponsored by the Arts Council Ireland.
– Set up a local Arts Support Group ‘UMBrELLA’.
– Sound technician at the Cahirciveen Community Centre – theatre plays and cinema.
– Worked with Dancer in Residence, Maggie Harvey (2004)
– Freelance musician; drummer and percussionist.
– Worked with piper Danny Houlihan for The Rose of Tralee in 2007.
– ‘All shook up’ musical in Siamse Tire, Tralee with the Tralee Musical Society (drummer).
– Played in several bands; rock, funk, latin, jazz and accompanying singer/guitarists. Played in orchestras and percussion ensembles. Participant in ‘Carmina Burana’ – Carl Orff.
– Played in ‘Klezazz’, klezmer/jazz trio.
– Percussionist/drummer/backing vocals with the band ‘Coney Joe’ – regular performances locally and nationally.(since 2004)
– Leader of ‘Cé-Samba?”’ community samba band started in 2006 – regular performances at festivals and parades.
– Facilitator/leader of KDYS Killarney Samba Band.
– Performances with ‘Extreme Rhythm’ – Wexford based percussion group with leader Nick Bailey.
– Performances (freelance) with ‘The Fireflies’.
– Worked as an Arts Teacher, covering maternity leave, with Kerry Parents and Friends, Valentia Island, from May 2007 until September 2007.
– Music facilitator with ‘Iveragh Drama Society’ (2008 – 2009)
– Musician in ‘Arc-en-ciel’ with the Red Cross, Belgium
– Musician in ‘Los Vecinos’, Belgium/Germany
– Workshops samba percussion in Kreativa Amel, 2016, Belgium
– Zinnekesparade, Brussels, 2012.
– Aids Housing Project, Dublin (2001)
– Saidbhin Day Care Centre (2002)
– Co-organiser of the participation of members of Fertha View Day Centre, Cahirciveen in St. Patrick’s Parade – 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008. Funded by Kerry County Council and Mental Health Association.
– Project co-ordinator of a reminiscence project with the Cahirciveen Active Retirement Group – published ‘Stories of our Childhood’ – funded by Kerry County Council and Cahirciveen Community Centre (2005-2006)
– Musical co-ordinator and sound technician of the pantomimes ‘Cinderella’ (2006) and ‘Dracula’ (2007)
– Organiser of ‘World Music Party’ at Pulse Night Club, Cahirciveen. 2005.
– Co-ordinator and organiser of ‘South West Kerry Samba Day’ on the 3rd of May 2008 with bands from Cahirciveen, Killarney and Dublin.
– Secretary of EPOS (European Association of Patients groups of Sarcoidosis and other granulomatous disorders) (since 7 June 2008.)
– Setting up of Kerry ISARC support group in Tralee. (2009)
Exhibitions / publications
– Exhibitions of photographs of the USA, Ireland in Gallery ‘Het Luik’ – Belgium
– Work exhibited in ‘Café Moda’, Dublin.
– ‘Discovering Mysterious Syria – The Vastness of the Midwest’ – exhibitions of B&W and colour photographs of Syria and USA in:
– Cahirciveen Community Centre
– Signal Arts Centre, Bray
– Cork Vision Centre (all between 2002 and 2004)
– ‘The Convent’, body of work of paintings, photographs, drawings, film and poems at the Cahirciveen Library in 2005.
– ‘In Search of Music…Cuba’, exhibition of photographs, slideshow/film, music at the Samhlaoicht Gallery, Tralee in June and July 2007. Officially opened by the Cuban Ambassador to Ireland, Noel Carrillo.
– ‘In Search of Music…Cuba’ at Tech Amergin, Waterville. April/May 2008.
– Participation at group exhibitions in Cahirciveen, Killarney, Ballybunnion, Tralee…
– Exhibition ‘The best of….so far’ in Bütgenbach, Belgium (2013)
– Exhibition photos Syria in Kapelle Krewinkel, Belgium. (2015)
– Group exhibition in Born, Belgium (2017)
– Winner of song writing competition in Belgium.
– Publication of poems in ‘Microbe’ (Belgium) and ‘Wildeside’ (Ireland).
– Writing of story ‘The Asphodel People’ (2003)
– Travelogue on my trip to Cuba, April 2007, featured on www.cubaabsolutely.com.
Bridget Sheehan Former Manager of Fertha View Day Care Centre, Cahirciveen
Aidan O’Carroll Director of Kerry School of Music, Tralee
Catherine Cournane Manager of the CCRC
Kate Kennelly Arts Officer Kerry County Council
Jason O’Mahony Director Samhlaoicht, Tralee
066 7129934 / 066 7120925
Clare O’Toole Former manager of Cahirciveen Community Resource Centre
Allt the above references are from Ireland.
Raymond Andres, Kreative Werkstatt Mürringen